Business License Application Frequently Asked Questions
1. Q: Do I need to obtain a business license for my business?
A: Yes, if you provide goods and services from a location in Brattleboro, including your home, you must obtain a Business License.
2. Q: If my business is a non-profit business, do I need a Business License?
A: Yes, if you meet the criteria in the answer to Question 1.
3. Q: How do I apply and pay for a Business License?
A: The fee for the Business license is $50. There is a link to the Business License Application on the town website. If you obtain a Business license online, you must pay the fee with a credit card. A handling fee is charged in these transactions. If you would prefer to pay with a check or cash, or do not wish to apply online, you may come to the Listers Office in the Town Hall and submit your application there.
4. Q: How will I receive the Business License?
A: You will receive the license at the e-mail address you provide in the application. Please print the license and display it at your place of business. If you apply and pay for the license at the Listers Office, you will be provided with the license at that time.
5. Q: If I do not have a computer, an e-mail address, or access to the Internet, how can I obtain a Business License online?
A: There are public computers at the Library and at a kiosk outside the Listers Office. You will need to use a credit card.
6. Q: If I discover that I have made an error in my Business License application, what should I do?
A: If you have submitted the application and notice an error, contact the Listers Office at 251-8156. If you are still in the process of filling out the application, revise the form and submit the application. If a problem becomes apparent, call the Listers Office. Do not submit duplicate applications.
7. Q: What is the deadline to apply for a Business License?
A: The deadline to renew a license is January 1. Applications received from January 2 to January 15 will be charged a $12.50 late fee. Applications received after January 15 will be charged a $25.00 late fee.
8. Q: What is Business Personal Property? How do I declare my Business Personal Property on the Business License application?
A: Business Personal Property (BPP) is an inventory of the equipment, machinery, store fixtures, computers, office furniture, etc. and all other items needed to operate your business, excluding motor vehicles. If your business has more than $5,000 worth of BPP, you will be required to fill out a Business Property form in March each year. In Section 5 of the Business License application, you will be asked to declare whether you have more or less than $5,000 worth of BPP, (unless your business is a 501 ( C ) 3 corporation). This information is employed to refine the mailing lists used for BPP.
9. Q: If I have other questions about the Business License process, who do I call?
A: You may call the Listers Office at 251-8156, the Town Manager’s Office at 251-8151, or the Town Clerk’s Office at 251-8157.